The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: UN Dispensary Physician
Job ID: 29851
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – Emergency Response
Vacancy Type: TA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 06 months
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic and its significant spread in Nigeria has brought about this urgent need for Physicians to work with the Dispensary Physician at the Isolation facility which has been operative for some days now.
- These temporary positions are located in the Department of Management and field missions, including those UN Clinics administered by UNDP. At Headquarters, the Medical Officer reports to the Medical Director, Medical Services Division and usually in the field to the UN Health Manager when applicable.
- In the field has a functional reporting relationship to the UN Medical Director, DHMOSH, OHRM, and in those UN Clinics administered by UNDP with the UNDP Resident Representatives. In some duty stations, Medical Officers may also head up small field medical service facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Medical Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Undertakes day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, emergencies, stabilization of critical patients, etc,
- Overall supervision, management, coordination clinical operations of the Fever Clinic, Isolation ward, etc, during the outbreak/pandemic.
- Follow up and tracking of the positive cases and direct contacts,
- Undertake day-to-day occupational health duties: pre-placement and periodic medical examinations prepare UN staff for travelling providing immunizations, malaria prophylaxis, travel kits, etc; unless otherwise advice by the UN Health Manager
- Refers staff to outside specialists as necessary;
- Follows-up with outside specialists;
- Provides health education and health promotion programs, with special emphasis to the prophylaxis of the relevant diseases of the outbreak;
- Organizes/Participates in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
Medico Administrative Duties:
- (Depending of the Duty Station, these tasks normally belong to the UN Health Manger)
- Advises Administration on medical standards for recruitment, sick leave, and medical evacuations/repatriations as per United Nations policies and guidelines;
- Participates in drafting and implementation of business continuity and crises preparedness plans for the duty station/mission;
- Manages/Supports day-to-day operations;
- Deputizes for the UN Health Manager during his/her absence, when applicable;
Supervisory Administration of the Fever Clinic:
- Supervises laboratory technicians’ nurses and medical administrative staff; ensures availability of drugs and medical supplies and proper functioning of medical equipment.
- Ensures appropriate training programs are implemented in order to maintain and develop the medical capabilities (e.g. health education, dedicated training related to the pertaining outbreak) health education, health promotion and prevention, first aid and CPR).
- Organised the shift roster to ensure coverage o the fever clinic 24/7
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Staff at large
- Staff within work unit
- Staff counsellors
- Senior management throughout the Organization
- Security personnel
- All specialized agencies
- Military Physicians
- Physicians and representatives of Laboratories, Pharmaceutical Companies, Medical Associations and Societies
- Implementation of preventive and medical actions and responses related to disease outbreak crisis. Implementation of sound medical practices, training, prevention and treatment to ensure the physical and mental health of UN staff, and to promotion and maintenance of proper health care, including the prevention of health hazards, for these staff.
Required Skills and Experience
- Doctorate (MD) or equivalent in Medicine, including residency / internship in one of the medical specialties, preferably Internal Medicine, ICU, or Family Medicine with relevant experience in emergency room or ICU.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible clinical experience in one of the areas of medicine.
- UN field experience is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in humanitarian crisis and infectious diseases is highly desirable.
- Proven experience of a minimum of six month at an Intensive Care Unit in the past 5 years is highly desirable.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Knowledge of clinical, occupational and tropical/travel medicine.
- Formal training in CPR and, preferably in BCLS and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care.
- Proven experience of a minimum of six month at an Intensive Care Unit in the past 5 years.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Application Closing Date
5th April, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Please help your friends and relatives who might be eligible for this job. Share this opportunity!. You can share it on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Click on the sharing buttons below (very easy to use too)!
Leave a Reply